Monday, November 11, 2013

In The Hands Of The Potter

 
 
 
Hello! This week was good, but looking back it felt like last monday was a month ago.
On Tuesday, we woke up and it was raining super hard. But by the time we had to leave for a lesson, it was just this mist rain that happens in Iowa, so we just wore rain jackets. While walking to the appointment, the rain started to pick up, and by the time we had arrived, it was POURING rain. We were completely soaked. We were teaching John and Allie, and we taught them the Plan of Salvation. It was really good, and they totally understand and are willing to read and pray and everything in order to reach the date of Dec 14. Very exciting! Elder Keller felt sick still, and when we had walked in the rain, it made him feel very sick. So Tuesday night he couldn't even talk at dinner. We went home early.

Wednesday, Elder Keller was very sick so we stayed inside all day. When we went to the Dr. to see if he had Strep, the Dr. was super interested in the gospel and missionaries because she had seen The Book Of Mormon play! It was sweet! We are going to schedule a time to meet with her! SO SWEET! We sat around, watched a ton of church movies, listened to talks, and studied.
Thursday, Elder Keller was still sick so we just went out to reschedule lessons and give a Book of Mormon to the sweet Japanese guy. It took 30 minutes just to give it to him, because we COULD NOT communicate with him. It seriously took 10 minutes alone to say goodbye. hahah so funny.
Friday, we went on exchanges and I was with Elder Mckenzie here in Ames. A less active girl from a different ward wanted me to teach her how to throw clay on the wheel, (make pottery) so we went to the ceramic studio she worked at and I taught her! It was way fun! I got to throw again! I missed that, and it was a tender mercy to be able to do that. The owner of the studio saw me helping her, and asked if I would be able to throw her some lids and stuff that she needed. I said I'd try, and honestly, with not much confidence in myself because it has been MONTHS since I've thrown, said a quick prayer to myself that I would not fail. AND THROUGH THE LORD I DID IT. I made everything that I needed to make her, and to the right dimensions and everything. She was very impressed, and I was very surprised. Haha. We're going back to do some service for her, whether that's teaching customers how to throw, or what, I'm not sure, but I'm excited! The Ward Mission Leader found out, and is organizing a ceramic class for our ward, with me as the teacher... great. I'm very nervous. haha. We'll see how it goes and if it actually goes through.
We then went and raked leaves for 3 and half hours. Good grief. No wonder I never did it before my mission. Then we went to dinner, and taught the Recent Convert that's a boss.
Saturday Morning we taught a girls friend who has a bunch of questions about the church. So we met outside his building on a bench and froze our faces off, and taught him! It was sweet! He's now an investigator! Then we went and taught a Hindu family AND GOT THEM TO PRAY! WOO!! Then a lesson with the evangelical guy from Nigeria. Then zone training, then we had the opportunity to give a blessing to an elderly man who was recently diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer. It was super spiritual and I LOVED it. They loved each other (him and his wife) so much, it broke my heart how sad she was. We are going to try and teach them, but we'll see how it goes.
Sunday was a day full of meetings, planning, and more meetings. Woohoo.
I've always heard people talk about how Christ is the Master Potter, and how we should be soft and form-able in His hands. This is one thing that I have been striving to do my entire life, to be what the Lord wants me to be, to put myself aside, and make His will mine. It's a life-long journey, but as with every thing, it begins with one step. I hope you guys will try to see what kind of clay you are. If you're being obedient and letting the Lord form you, or if you're trying to make yourself something YOU WANT.

I love my mission, thank you for all the love and support. I hope and pray that I will be able to help people realized the love and plan that our Heavenly Father has for them. I'm not very good at it though. Eh. it'll come.

Love, Elder Hollan

No comments:

Post a Comment